If you are a lover of Modern Art and wish to know more about the life and huge creative opus of Stratis Elefteriades - Teriade, do make the 4-kilometer trip between Mytilene and the suburb of Varia and pay a visit to the Stratis Elefteriades - Teriade Museum.
Art-critic, poet, art-collector and publisher Stratis Elefteriadis is arguably one of the most prominent intellectual personae of Lesvos. Born in Mytilene on May 2nd, 1897, Elefteriadis emigrated to Paris in 1915 and eventually became established under the French moniker Teriade and as an avid supporter of new visual artists. Anyone interested in the art of the avant-guard might be aware Teriade was a co-founder of the Surrealist journal Le Minotaure (1933) and an early promoter of such immense painters as Miro, Bonnard, Braque, Matisse, Picasso, Chagal and Leger.
Between the years 1943 and 1975, Teriade published approximately 26 volumes, their pages uniquely illustrated by major 20th-century painters. A large part of his personal art-collection has been donated by his widow, Alice, to an art exhibition in France. Teriade himself, who is responsible for discovering the great Neo-hellenic painter Theophilos and saving a large proportion of his work, funded the Theophilos Museum in Varia (Vareia) and donated a number of his publications, together with a variety of paintings and several medieval manuscripts, to the city of Mytilene.
The Museum - Library Stratis Elefteriades - Teriade was inaugurated in August 1979. Located right by the Theophilos Museum of Varia, it encompasses a range of paintings by Greek and European artists such as Vakirtzis and Tsarouchis, together with the “Great Books”, the most important part of the exhibition. The “Great Books” were born out of a unique combination of prose and illustrative work. Alberto Giacometti’s Paris Without an End, Le Corbusier’s The Poem of the Right Angle, Fernand Leger’s The Circus, Henri Matisse’s Jazz, Marc Chagall’s Daphnis and Chloe and Pablo Picasso’s The Dead may, among others, may be admired in one of the twenty rooms of the Museum.
Opening times are April to September, 09:00 am - 14.00 pm and 17:00 pm - 20:00 pm, and November to March, 09:00 am - 17:00 pm. There is an entrance fee of 2 euros.